Revised B.C.U.K. Code of Ethics
(Following AGM 31.5.2014, Agenda item 10.)
Bergamasco Club UK – BCUK was formerly known as Bergamasco Owners and Friends
Fraternity – BOFF and changed its name on 9th May 2021. BCUK is referred to as The Club
- Will properly house, feed, water and exercise all dogs under their care and arrange for appropriate veterinary attention if and when required.
- Will agree without reservation that any veterinary surgeon who performs an operation on any
of their dogs which alters the natural conformation of the animal, or who carries out a
caesarean section on a bitch, may report such operations to The Kennel Club.
- Will agree that no healthy puppy will be culled. Puppies which may not conform to the Breed
Standard should be placed in suitable homes.
- Will abide by all aspects of the Animal Welfare Act.
- Will not create demand for, nor supply, puppies that have been docked illegally.
- Will agree not to breed from a dog or bitch which could be in any way harmful to the dog
or to the breed.
- Will not allow any of their dogs to roam at large or to cause a nuisance to neighbours or those
carrying out official duties.
- Will ensure that their dogs wear properly tagged collars and will be kept leashed or under
effective control when away from home.
- Will clean up after their dogs in public places or anywhere their dogs are being exhibited.
- Will only sell dogs where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and will
help with the re-homing of a dog if the initial circumstances change.
- Will supply written details of all dietary requirements and give guidance concerning
responsible ownership when placing dogs in a new home.
- Will ensure that all relevant Kennel Club documents are provided to the new owner when
selling or transferring a dog, and will agree, in writing, to forward any relevant documents at
the earliest opportunity, if not immediately available.
- Will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers or directly or indirectly
allow dogs to be given as a prize or donation in a competition of any kind. Will not sell by sale
or auction Kennel Club registration certificates as stand-alone items (not accompanying a
- Will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed nor falsely advertise dogs
nor mislead any person regarding the health or quality of a dog.
- As a member of The Club I undertake to adhere to the Rules and Regulations laid down by
The Kennel Club and the Bergamasco Standard laid down by them. I will conduct myself in
such a manner as to reflect credit upon The Club and upon Bergamascos. I will display good
sportsmanship at all times and refrain from criticising other breeders’ stock in a way which
may be considered vindictive. I will maintain a high standard of health and care for my
- If I cannot keep my Bergamascos, I will notify the Committee (Health and Welfare Officer),
after prior reference to the breeder.
- For the purpose of this Code of Conduct, the wording ‘breeder’ shall mean both the Owner of
the Stud Dog and the owner of the Breeding Bitch.
- As a breeder of Bergamascos, I will try to improve the quality of the Breed, having regard to
the Breed Standard, by using a dog well suited to the bitch and to prevent the doubling up on
- I will refuse stud services to any bitch not registered with the Kennel Club or the affiliated
Kennel Club for the country the bitch is registered in if overseas.
- I will only sell Bergamasos in good health to the best of my knowledge at the time of sale.
- I will provide each purchaser at the time of sale with an accurate pedigree, a diet sheet and
general care information which shall include information about the development of the coat. I
will provide the Kennel Club Registration documents within a reasonable length of time,
unless otherwise agreed. I will encourage purchasers to join The Bergamasco Club UK.
- I will assist the owner in every reasonable way during the life of the Bergamasco, including
assisting with rehoming if this becomes necessary, by liaising with The Club’s Welfare
- I will not sell any Bergamasco which has a known major fault/abnormality without ensuring
the buyer is fully aware of that (or those) fault(s) or abnormality(ies) in writing.
- I will not breed Bergamascos unless both the sire and the dam have been x-rayed and
scored for hip dysplasia under the KC/BVA scheme. The hip scores must be given to the
Health and Welfare Officer. (Note: Point 28 may be used below in cases where an older stud
dog which is too late for hip scoring)
- I will ensure that the purchaser is fully informed as to any restrictions, endorsements or terms
that may apply to the purchaser of the Bergamasco.
- No Bergamasco bitch should be mated before reaching the age of 24 months or whelp
puppies after 8 years of age (KC rule – section B3.22(c)). A male Bergamasco should not be
used at stud until his hips have been scored.
- There should normally be a lapse of a minimum of 12 months after the birth before another
Litter is contemplated.
- In exceptional circumstances, the committee may use discretion in the application of the above Code of Conduct.
Breach of these provisions may result in expulsion from club membership, and/or disciplinary
action by the Kennel Club and/or reporting to the relevant authorities for legal action, as
Proposed: Reyna Knight Signed: Reyna G Knight Date: 31.5.2014
Seconded: Val Rottger Signed: V Rottger Date: 31.5.2014